poids magret de canard par personne, magret canard quantité par personne, difference between blanquette et fricassee, magret de canard combien de gramme par personne, quantité magret de canard par personne, un magret fait pour combien de personne, quantité par personne pour un filet de canard, coddled vs poached, lentil scum, kimberly @comcast.net @bellsouth.net @hotmail.com mail

#1: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 12:40:06 by ghbt

hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
(especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).

with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with this
scum. need it be removed?

maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
thanks.

#2: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 13:19:33 by Gregory Morrow

jw 1111 wrote:

> hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
> (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
>
> with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
> because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with
this
> scum. need it be removed?
>
> maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?

Yeah, why not try learning about capitalization and punctuation? You come
off as *really* ignorant.

--
Best
Greg

#3: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 14:32:38 by Margaret Suran

jw 1111 wrote:
> hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
> (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
>
> with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
> because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with this
> scum. need it be removed?
>
> maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
> thanks.

Try washing the lentils and beans before you cook them. Some of the
impurities will be washed away.

I have a small metal sieve, with which I scoop away the scum that
always forms during cooking. As far as I know, you will not lose any
nutrients.

#4: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 15:08:39 by Dee Randall

&quot;Margaret Suran&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:margaret&#64;no.spam.for.me.invalid" target="_blank">margaret&#64;no.spam.for.me.invalid</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:dj82p4013ef&#64;news4.newsguy.com..." target="_blank">dj82p4013ef&#64;news4.newsguy.com...</a>
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; jw 1111 wrote:
&gt;&gt; hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
&gt;&gt; (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
&gt;&gt; because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with
&gt;&gt; this scum. need it be removed?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
&gt;&gt; thanks.
&gt; Try washing the lentils and beans before you cook them. Some of the
&gt; impurities will be washed away.
&gt;
&gt; I have a small metal sieve, with which I scoop away the scum that always
&gt; forms during cooking. As far as I know, you will not lose any nutrients.

When I make lentils, the scum comes to the top, I scoop it away. THEN, I add
the tumeric; otherwise, I am diluting the amount of tumeric in my lentils.
The same concept would go for any powdered ingredient.
Dee Dee

#5: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 15:25:20 by unknown

Post removed (X-No-Archive: yes)

#6: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 15:26:21 by unknown

Post removed (X-No-Archive: yes)

#7: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 15:49:23 by Sheldon

Michael &quot;Dog3&quot; Lonergan wrote:
&gt;
&gt; I forgot to mention that in my previous response.
&gt; I also season after scumming.

Hehe, we really didn't need to know that much.

#8: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-20 17:22:36 by unknown

Post removed (X-No-Archive: yes)

#9: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-21 10:41:02 by ghbt

&quot;Gregory Morrow&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES&#64;earthlink.net" target="_blank">gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES&#64;earthlink.net</a>&gt; wrote in
message news:93L5f.16789$<a href="mailto:vw6.9261&#64;newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net..." target="_blank">vw6.9261&#64;newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...</a>
&gt;
&gt; jw 1111 wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
&gt;&gt; (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
&gt;&gt; because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with
&gt; this
&gt;&gt; scum. need it be removed?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Yeah, why not try learning about capitalization and punctuation? You come
&gt; off as *really* ignorant.
&gt; &gt; Greg

thank you. actually i am ignorant. but doing a google search on your
address and seeing the amount of time you spend on trivia i feel you might
qualify for a close second.
&gt;
&gt;

#10: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-21 18:01:26 by Sheldon

Michael &quot;Dog3&quot; Lonergan wrote:
&gt; &quot;jw 1111&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:blue.star77&#64;REMOOVEvirgin.net" target="_blank">blue.star77&#64;REMOOVEvirgin.net</a>&gt; looking for trouble wrote in
&gt; news:auK5f.2178$<a href="mailto:cz6.1218&#64;newsfe1-gui.ntli.net" target="_blank">cz6.1218&#64;newsfe1-gui.ntli.net</a>:
&gt;
&gt; &gt; hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the
&gt; &gt; top (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
&gt; &gt; because of their processing they have been through, but what to do
&gt; &gt; with this scum. need it be removed?
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
&gt; &gt; thanks.
&gt;
&gt; Soak the beans beforehand and then rinse them in a collander. That will
&gt; help a bit with any 'stuff' on the beans. I don't know how long to soak
&gt; them, maybe an hour or 2 unless you're going to soak them overnight which I
&gt; do sometimes. While cooking, just skim the scum off.

Lentils require less than an hour to cook, they should not be soaked,
if soaked they'll become mush when cooked. Lentils should not be
boiled, a very low simmer is sufficient. It's the boiling that
produces that scum, the harder the boil the greater the quantity of
scum. There's never a reason to boil any legumes, always lower the
heat to a low simmer just *before* coming to a boil.

Sheldon

#11: Re: need to remove lentil scum.

Posted on 2005-10-21 21:07:14 by unknown

Post removed (X-No-Archive: yes)