magret canard quantité par personne, difference between blanquette et fricassee, magret de canard combien de gramme par personne, quantité magret de canard par personne, un magret fait pour combien de personne, quantité par personne pour un filet de canard, coddled vs poached, lentil scum, kimberly @comcast.net @bellsouth.net @hotmail.com mail, magret par personnes

#1: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-13 22:05:37 by Ophelia

&quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:44b6a5c5$0$3633$<a href="mailto:cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net..." target="_blank">cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net...</a>
&gt;I remember a few years ago, Sheryl Rosen posted of her dad's passing and
&gt;the
&gt; food tastes and slightly odd food items that bring their memories flooding
&gt; back. We all posted items that reminded us of our deceased relatives that
&gt; brought smiles to our faces.
&gt;
&gt; Mark, hon. Been there, done that, and the thought of losing your mom
&gt; doesn't get easier. We deal with it in time, but some things just open
&gt; the
&gt; wound. Remember her good times, forget the bad. When dealing with your
&gt; sister, remember, her mom died too. Sending you a big cyber hug.
&gt;
&gt; Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom cook
&gt; that
&gt; you remember most? My mom couldn't cook if her life depended on
&gt; it......mostly throw togethers and Encore dinners. One recipe she tried
&gt; was
&gt; called &quot;Mexican Fiesta&quot; it was ground beef, mixed with cooked rice,
&gt; drained
&gt; stewed tomatoes, and topped with a jiffy cornbread mix. No spices, she
&gt; didn't use them. Bland......you betcha. My father either called it
&gt; Slumgullion or Mexican Shit. Remember being little when an evangelist
&gt; came
&gt; calling. Asked what we were eating and I said &quot;Mexican shit' ....shoulda
&gt; seen them trying to cover that up...
&gt;
&gt; Your best mom memories?

This is a lovely post ginny. I look forward to responses!

Ophelia
Scotland

#2: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-13 22:18:25 by Andy

&quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote in news:44b6a5c5$0$3633
$<a href="mailto:cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net" target="_blank">cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net</a>:

&gt; Your best mom memories?
&gt; -ginny

ginny,

That's NOT FAIR. It could take ages to type it all in!

She taught me lots of lessons. She was a teacher after all. A gourmet
chef and an accomplished piano player and patron of the opera.

Aside from growing up eating bread and butter and plain hamburgers and
spaghetti and butter (NO CHEESE), she made a scrumptious veal parmesan on
occasion.

She scarred me for life for opening a canned ham, back in the early 60s
and slicing it up cold and serving us for dinner. I took one bite and
between the jelly slime and the saltiness, I prompty puked on the kitchen
table. She never served ham again.

My favorite memory was the &quot;$Million-dollar lunchbox&quot; in first grade. We
gathered in the cafeteria for lunchtime and I opened up my lunchbox and
my thermos was missing. My sandwich was missing. My cookies were missing.
But magically in there place was Mom's wallet. She must've been hungover
or SOMETHING! I opened her wallet and it was full of money and credit
cards and change and (I've told this before) I made a 1st grade executive
decision and took 35 cents and bought a hot lunch AND chocolate milks.
Living large for a day. :)

Andy

#3: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-13 23:22:31 by LadyJane

Every year we holiday at the same place. Remote island close to
Brisbane, but far enough away to deter most people.
The house we rented (when there were 2 of us, 2 kids, 1 dog for the 3
week stay ...and several friends (of the kids) &amp; inlaws dropping in for
a few days break) slept 12 but had a pitifully small fridge. Everything
had to be stacked on top of each other as there were a few missing
shelves. (Believe one bright spark who rented it actually used 1 or 2
as grills over an open fire bbq... hmmm... like I said, a real bright
spark)
November/December here in Queensland is stiflingly hot so it's perfect
bbq weather, cold meats, salads etc.
Mum is British through and through. If a product is English... it HAS
to be the best there is. (No, she won't be voting republican if our
government ever goes that track!) Her vehement pro-Brit monologues are
a standing joke in (my) family.(three Aussies after all!)
She had come over for a weekend break and enjoy time at the beach with
her dog.
But, despite my best efforts, insisted on 'helping' in the kitchen.
(Which was galley style and very cramped. Ideal for one. Not so ideal
for more than one.)

I'd made a tossed green salad, a potato &amp; egg salad (her recipe
actually), a coleslaw, and a marinaded salami/tomato combo. Meat &amp;
sausages were already on the bbq sizzling away. Table was laid.
Everything prepared.
Until......... Mum decided she and I needed a top up on our wines.
Without bending down (or looking too closely) she reached into the
fridge yanked two bottles out and unwittingly dragged out the two
salads perched atop the bottles. Calamity struck.
The spud salad survived in tact - the container had a tight fitting
lid. The coleslaw however was shot from one end of the kitchen to the
other and under the stove &amp; fridge to boot.
Ever since, it has been a regular request at family barbecues for Mum
to 'prepare' her Special English Tossed Coleslaw!
She's never likely to live that one down.
(Sounds really lame in the retelling, but at the time it was
hysterical. She was so mortified.)

This thread also reminds me of my mother-in-law ringing me in a panic
on Christmas Day. She'd cooked a whopping great turkey with all the
trimmings in her wall oven. Her problem was that she'd rested the
baking pan on the door of the oven to baste &amp; check if it was done....
and the oven door promptly snapped off sending the turkey and all the
vegetables scooting over her floor. Her two pekinese were delighted
with the sudden 'gift from heaven' and promptly set about snuffling
their way through the mess!
Glad I wasn't eating there that day!!! (Though it did get de-dogged,
de-doghaired etc and served up after being 'sterilised' in the oven
(with BF holding oven door in place) for a further 30 minutes.
ewwwww..... Since then, whenever we visit, we eat out at restaurants &amp;
cafes. Or I cook. I just don't trust her!!!!

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#4: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-13 23:27:59 by BrianW

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
&gt; I remember a few years ago, Sheryl Rosen posted of her dad's passing and the
&gt; food tastes and slightly odd food items that bring their memories flooding
&gt; back. We all posted items that reminded us of our deceased relatives that
&gt; brought smiles to our faces.
&gt;
&gt; Mark, hon. Been there, done that, and the thought of losing your mom
&gt; doesn't get easier. We deal with it in time, but some things just open the
&gt; wound. Remember her good times, forget the bad. When dealing with your
&gt; sister, remember, her mom died too. Sending you a big cyber hug.
&gt;
&gt; Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom cook that
&gt; you remember most? My mom couldn't cook if her life depended on
&gt; it......mostly throw togethers and Encore dinners. One recipe she tried was
&gt; called &quot;Mexican Fiesta&quot; it was ground beef, mixed with cooked rice, drained
&gt; stewed tomatoes, and topped with a jiffy cornbread mix. No spices, she
&gt; didn't use them. Bland......you betcha. My father either called it
&gt; Slumgullion or Mexican Shit. Remember being little when an evangelist came
&gt; calling. Asked what we were eating and I said &quot;Mexican shit' ....shoulda
&gt; seen them trying to cover that up...
&gt;
&gt; Your best mom memories?
&gt; -ginny
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;

My favorite meal my Mom used to make was what she called &quot;pot pies&quot;
but other old timers also used to call it &quot;leather&quot;. It was basically
wide thick egg noodles. By wide I mean at least two inches wide and
usually about 2&quot; long too. These were boiled in beef broth with a little
flour to thicken. Supposedly my Dad's mother showed her how to make them
and her mother showed her and so on. I make them still, so I guess it's
at least a five generation recipe. We would have the neighbor kids over
to help bale hay, and this would be lunch.
Another thing Mother made a lot was fried chicken. Home killed and
cleaned. We even had the Pastor mention that at her funeral.

#5: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-13 23:28:56 by George

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
[...]

Not a mom memory but on a similar idea. I never knew this guy and I like
him:

#6: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-13 23:55:25 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:55:20 -1200, &quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom cook that
&gt;you remember most?

I remember her baking more than her cooking. As a cook, she was
infamous for &quot;Pork Chips.&quot;

When I think of Mom, I think of cookies. All kinds, and in massive
batches.

Here's one of her signature recipes. The title is spoken quickly, as
one long word.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry-Chocolate-Chip-Banana-Nut Bread

Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads - Quick

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 large bananas -- mashed
2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup nuts -- chopped
1/4 cup maraschino cherries -- chopped
1/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Mix ingredients in order given.
2. Grease and flour 2 small loaf pans. Pour half of batter into each.
3. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
4. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
5. Wrap in plastic wrap to store.

Source:
&quot;Pat Zastera (Carol's Mom)&quot;
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The name of this recipe is said all as one word. It's a rule.

The recipe implies three medium bananas. For a moister, more dense and
flavorful bread, use three large or four medium bananas. And be sure
to always use fully ripe bananas. When they're still nice for eating,
they haven't developed the rich flavor you want in a bread.

Carol

#7: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:01:46 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152825751.817094.115240&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152825751.817094.115240&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt; Every year we holiday at the same place. Remote island close to
&gt; Brisbane, but far enough away to deter most people.

Is that the same place where the young girl was taken by a shark
recently?

&gt;
&gt;
&gt; This thread also reminds me of my mother-in-law ringing me in a panic
&gt; on Christmas Day. She'd cooked a whopping great turkey with all the
&gt; trimmings in her wall oven. Her problem was that she'd rested the
&gt; baking pan on the door of the oven to baste &amp; check if it was done....
&gt; and the oven door promptly snapped off sending the turkey and all the
&gt; vegetables scooting over her floor. Her two pekinese were delighted
&gt; with the sudden 'gift from heaven' and promptly set about snuffling
&gt; their way through the mess!
&gt; Glad I wasn't eating there that day!!! (Though it did get de-dogged,
&gt; de-doghaired etc and served up after being 'sterilised' in the oven
&gt; (with BF holding oven door in place) for a further 30 minutes.
&gt; ewwwww..... Since then, whenever we visit, we eat out at restaurants &amp;
&gt; cafes. Or I cook. I just don't trust her!!!!
&gt;

LOL!!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

#8: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:07:47 by Andy

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152825751.817094.115240&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152825751.817094.115240&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt; Mum is British through and through. If a product is English... it HAS
&gt; to be the best there is. (No, she won't be voting republican if our
&gt; government ever goes that track!) Her vehement pro-Brit monologues are
&gt; a standing joke in (my) family.(three Aussies after all!)

LadyJane,

We road tripped from Canberra, NSW to Adelaide, SA where &quot;Big Bird #1&quot;
was born and raised and we were going to stay at his parents house for a
few days.

While we were there she treated us like her own, while naturally
embarassing her son, OUR boss the whole time.

Upon arrival she asked us, &quot;would you boys like a beer and a whiskey?!&quot;

God bless Mrs. Joseph!!! We had a Mom away from home for a bit.

She made us our first kangaroo steak dinner!!!

Very proper and upstanding family. It was a pleasure of my life!

You Aussies are so civilized!!!

Andy ;)

#9: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:09:03 by LucasP

George &lt;<a href="mailto:george&#64;nospam.invalid" target="_blank">george&#64;nospam.invalid</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:GqudnQfkAoCEJivZnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d&#64;adelphia.com" target="_blank">GqudnQfkAoCEJivZnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d&#64;adelphia.com</a>:

&gt; Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
&gt;&gt; I remember a few years ago, Sheryl Rosen posted of her dad's passing
&gt;&gt; and the food tastes and slightly odd food items that bring their
&gt;&gt; memories flooding back. We all posted items that reminded us of our
&gt;&gt; deceased relatives that brought smiles to our faces.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Mark, hon. Been there, done that, and the thought of losing your mom
&gt;&gt; doesn't get easier. We deal with it in time, but some things just
&gt;&gt; open the wound. Remember her good times, forget the bad. When
&gt;&gt; dealing with your sister, remember, her mom died too. Sending you a
&gt;&gt; big cyber hug.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom
&gt;&gt; cook that you remember most? My mom couldn't cook if her life
&gt;&gt; depended on it......mostly throw togethers and Encore dinners. One
&gt;&gt; recipe she tried was called &quot;Mexican Fiesta&quot; it was ground beef,
&gt;&gt; mixed with cooked rice, drained stewed tomatoes, and topped with a
&gt;&gt; jiffy cornbread mix. No spices, she didn't use them. Bland......you
&gt;&gt; betcha. My father either called it Slumgullion or Mexican Shit.
&gt;&gt; Remember being little when an evangelist came calling. Asked what we
&gt;&gt; were eating and I said &quot;Mexican shit' ....shoulda seen them trying to
&gt;&gt; cover that up...
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Your best mom memories?
&gt;&gt; -ginny
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Not a mom memory but on a similar idea. I never knew this guy and I
&gt; like him:
&gt;
&gt; <a href="http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?" target="_blank">http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?</a>
pagename=RTD/MGArticle/R
&gt; TD_BasicArticle&amp;c=MGArticle&amp;cid=1149189066184
&gt;
&gt; <a href="http://www.legacy.com/TimesDispatch/DeathNotices.asp?" target="_blank">http://www.legacy.com/TimesDispatch/DeathNotices.asp?</a>
Page=LifeStory&amp;Per
&gt; sonID=18382676
&gt;

Great guy :-)

#10: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:10:56 by LucasP

Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:i0gdb2t4sojl9pt31j6o19q4n5vi6nk3bd&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">i0gdb2t4sojl9pt31j6o19q4n5vi6nk3bd&#64;4ax.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; Cherry-Chocolate-Chip-Banana-Nut Bread
&gt;
&gt; Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
&gt; Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
&gt; Categories : Breads - Quick
&gt;
&gt; Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
&gt; -------- ------------ --------------------------------
&gt; 1/2 cup shortening

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you use
for 'shortening'.

#11: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:12:29 by LucasP

Andy &lt;q&gt; wrote in news:<a href="mailto:Xns97FFB878E4817cotd&#64;216.196.97.136" target="_blank">Xns97FFB878E4817cotd&#64;216.196.97.136</a>:

&gt;
&gt; You Aussies are so civilized!!!

Bloody oath!!! :-)

#12: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:20:32 by Christine Dabney

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:55:20 -1200, &quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;
&gt;Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom cook that
&gt;you remember most?

&gt;Your best mom memories?
&gt;-ginny
&gt;
&gt;

Okay, I will have to add to this maybe this weekend, when I don't have
to get ready for work.

But I remember her breakfasts of sausage/bacon, and fried apples. And
hot biscuits with honey. What a match made in heaven!!!

She was the first person that taught me to enjoy lamb. No one else
that I knew outside of our family ate lamb. This was in Richmond, VA,
back in the 50's and 60's. However, she didn't cook it so it was a
nice pink in the middle, but rather hers was well done. And, she
used garlic with it. Another rarity. But it was still very, very
good.

And the salads. I think we had salads every night. Not your usual
iceberg lettuce, although that was a component of the salads....but
other greens as well. And she made a vinagarette for it. It wasn't
til I went away to school that I realized that not everyone knew what
an oil and vingegar dressing should taste like.
Even though I now use olive oil for the salad oil she used to use, I
still can't improve on the salads and vinagarettes she made.

Christine

#13: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:23:06 by LadyJane

Andy wrote:

&gt; While we were there she treated us like her own, while naturally
&gt; embarassing her son, OUR boss the whole time.

One of the few benefits of having children is the opportunity to
embarrass the life out of them at every opportunity... IMHO..... hehehe

&gt; You Aussies are so civilized!!!
&gt;
&gt; Andy ;)

yep... electricity, running water, refrigeration... all mod cons south
of the equator!
But we DO call some of our produce weird names.... like capsicum....
hehehehe
Might take a bit of getting used to!

Next time you're in Oz, Queensland to be more precise, you must look us
up - PeterL &amp; I will gladly show you some downunder hospitality I'm
sure!
Aussies need no excuse to party, and parteee hard!

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;
(and never miss the opportunity for a jolly good piss-up as we

#14: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:23:26 by LadyJane

PeterL wrote:

&gt; Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you use
&gt; for 'shortening'.

butter!!!
or margarine if you really feel the need for carcinogens
or even oil at a pinch

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#15: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:23:43 by LadyJane

PeterL wrote:
&gt; Is that the same place where the young girl was taken by a shark
&gt; recently?

Indeed it is ... Point Lookout is our favourite haunt though. Not
fussed in Amity or Dunwich other than as provenders of exceptional
seafood!

cheers,
LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

btw... interesting topics on discussion on alt.ozdebate Mr. SS...
hehehehe
made for interesting reading that's for sure.
ROFLMAO

#16: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:31:57 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 13 Jul 2006 22:10:56 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;news:<a href="mailto:i0gdb2t4sojl9pt31j6o19q4n5vi6nk3bd&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">i0gdb2t4sojl9pt31j6o19q4n5vi6nk3bd&#64;4ax.com</a>:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Cherry-Chocolate-Chip-Banana-Nut Bread
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
&gt;&gt; Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
&gt;&gt; Categories : Breads - Quick
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
&gt;&gt; -------- ------------ --------------------------------
&gt;&gt; 1/2 cup shortening
&gt;
&gt;Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you use
&gt;for 'shortening'.

It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
travel?

Carol

#17: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:32:41 by gentleboa

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
&gt; Your best mom memories?
&gt; -ginny

Wow - my Mom was an awesome cook. Her pot roast was the best. And
vegetable soup - I can duplicate it, but I don't make it nearly often
enough. And baked Macaroni and Cheese - the old-fashioned thick kind
so many people love. It makes me sad to think about it too much.

Like ginny said - it doesn't get better, just different.

-L.

#18: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:34:56 by Andy

PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote in news:Xns9800537CCD67D9999999@
218.100.0.53:

&gt; Andy &lt;q&gt; wrote in news:<a href="mailto:Xns97FFB878E4817cotd&#64;216.196.97.136" target="_blank">Xns97FFB878E4817cotd&#64;216.196.97.136</a>:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; You Aussies are so civilized!!!
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Bloody oath!!! :-)

PeterL,

Except for your wrong way roundabouts.

I got a lot of one finger salutes on occasion. MY FAULT!!!!

Too much tiger piss!

Andy

#19: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:41:22 by LadyJane

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

&gt; It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
&gt; this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
&gt; that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
&gt; prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
&gt; travel?
&gt;
&gt; Carol

LOL - evil Carol, really really evil.
(Like the way your mind works.... kill two birds with one stone!!)

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#20: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:54:19 by Andy

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152829386.871925.77780&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152829386.871925.77780&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt; Next time you're in Oz, Queensland to be more precise, you must look us
&gt; up - PeterL &amp; I will gladly show you some downunder hospitality I'm
&gt; sure!
&gt; Aussies need no excuse to party, and parteee hard!
&gt;
&gt; LadyJane
&gt; --
&gt; &quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;
&gt; (and never miss the opportunity for a jolly good piss-up as we
&gt; colonials say)

LadyJane,

Thanks for the invite! I'll leave Big Birds #1 &amp; #2 behind!!!

Do you have floaters in Queensland? --JUST KIDDING--

All the best,

Andy

#21: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:54:46 by EVALTSAM4509

--WebTV-Mail-3715-10551

Stuffed Peppers, Mild for us kids and pepper hot for Pop.

--WebTV-Mail-3715-10551

&lt;html&gt;&lt;body bgcolor=&quot;black&quot;text=&quot;gold&quot;&gt;&lt;center&gt;Eva
Julia&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;clock&gt;&lt;/clock&gt;&lt;/center&gt;&lt;/center&gt;&lt;html&gt;

--WebTV-Mail-3715-10551--

#22: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:58:42 by LadyJane

Andy wrote:

&gt; Thanks for the invite! I'll leave Big Birds #1 &amp; #2 behind!!!
&gt;
&gt; Do you have floaters in Queensland? --JUST KIDDING--
&gt;

They seem more popular in South Australia for some strange reason ....
lol

LJ

#23: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:41:49 by Tara

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:55:20 -1200, &quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Your best mom memories?

My mom is still with us, but she doesn't cook anymore. What I really
miss is her cornbread baked in a cast iron mold pan -- the cornbread
came out in sticks shaped like corn on the cob. It tasted so good --
just the right amound of crust. I think the pan was lost in a move.
I'm not very sentimental about &quot;stuff&quot;, but I do wish I had that pan.

Tara

#24: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:41:52 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152829422.954459.9690&#64;35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152829422.954459.9690&#64;35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; PeterL wrote:
&gt;&gt; Is that the same place where the young girl was taken by a shark
&gt;&gt; recently?
&gt;
&gt; Indeed it is ... Point Lookout is our favourite haunt though. Not
&gt; fussed in Amity or Dunwich other than as provenders of exceptional
&gt; seafood!

Besides, Pt Lookout is closer to the pub :-)

I stayed over there for 3 weeks. Was helping a mate paint a house, so we
got free rent for the whole time.

In a house, with a large deck overlooking Pipeline Beach(?), just a
short walk to the pub...... it was heaven :-)

&gt;
&gt; cheers,
&gt; LadyJane
&gt; --
&gt; &quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;
&gt;
&gt; btw... interesting topics on discussion on alt.ozdebate Mr. SS...
&gt; hehehehe

Me??!! A S***Stirrer!!??

Well I never....!! ;-)

&gt; made for interesting reading that's for sure.
&gt; ROFLMAO

I've always managed to have at least 2-3 stalkers at a time follow me
around. Something about living their pathetic lives vicariously thru'
mine :-)

#25: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:45:29 by LucasP

Andy &lt;q&gt; wrote in news:<a href="mailto:Xns97FFBD1314A73cotd&#64;216.196.97.136" target="_blank">Xns97FFBD1314A73cotd&#64;216.196.97.136</a>:

&gt; PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote in news:Xns9800537CCD67D9999999@
&gt; 218.100.0.53:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Andy &lt;q&gt; wrote in news:<a href="mailto:Xns97FFB878E4817cotd&#64;216.196.97.136" target="_blank">Xns97FFB878E4817cotd&#64;216.196.97.136</a>:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; You Aussies are so civilized!!!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Bloody oath!!! :-)
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; PeterL,
&gt;
&gt; Except for your wrong way roundabouts.
&gt;
&gt; I got a lot of one finger salutes on occasion. MY FAULT!!!!
&gt;

LOL!!! After *toooooooooo* long in California, I came back here, picked
my boys up and went for a drive to get some groceries. I turned down a
street and the boys started to yell, I looked at the car coming head on
at us and started yelling at the 'dickhead' to get back on his own side
of the road, whilst flashing my headlights and gesticulating wildly.

It wasn't until my eldest son yelled at me to get on the 'right' side of
the road I realised I was travelling US style :-)

#26: Shortening...... and booze.

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:52:50 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152829406.657161.50970&#64;p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152829406.657161.50970&#64;p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; PeterL wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you use
&gt;&gt; for 'shortening'.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; butter!!!

DOH!!

Bit fuzzy this morning. Went with an *evil* mate and picked up 9 cartons of
RTD's yesterday, for the party/boat trip tomorrow. We stopped off at the
pub at midday &quot;for a quick one&quot; according to him, and finished up at 10pm
last night :-/

Today we're going to go and pick up about 15 slabs of hot's and early
tomorrow we'll be getting the other 16 slabs of coldies. (There'll be 85
people all up!! And some of it is for another party we're having on the
28th.)

So there'll be no posts from me for a couple of days!!

#27: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:57:33 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 13 Jul 2006 15:41:22 -0700, &quot;LadyJane&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
&gt;&gt; this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
&gt;&gt; that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
&gt;&gt; prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
&gt;&gt; travel?
&gt;
&gt;LOL - evil Carol, really really evil.
&gt;(Like the way your mind works.... kill two birds with one stone!!)

&lt;Damsel looks around innocently&gt;

What? What are you talking about? Certainly not &quot;Bond, Peter Bond&quot;
actually doing business other than purchasing Crisco?? You are *such*
a trollop!

Carol

#28: Butter, and cold weather.....

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:57:34 by LucasP

&gt; PeterL wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you
use
&gt;&gt; for 'shortening'.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; butter!!!

Just made an intersting observation this morning (well actually, the
last 3 mornings)

I've started to use Unsalted Butter instead of the normal stuff. With
the cold weather we're having, the normal stuff is a real pain in the
bum to spread. And now that they've changed their packaging, it's a pain
to cut the block to go into my butter container. So I bought some nice
sized (250g) blocks of unsalted butter. It tastes very similar, but the
main benefit is that it spreads sooooooooo much easier!!

&gt; or margarine if you really feel the need for carcinogens

I haven't had margarine since I was a poor Private (in the Army) with a
wife and 3 kids under 10yo.

Will never use it again, either.

#29: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:59:26 by LucasP

Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:paidb2h8u2hfnkudoo9b83pb69j8irstf9&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">paidb2h8u2hfnkudoo9b83pb69j8irstf9&#64;4ax.com</a>:

&gt; On 13 Jul 2006 22:10:56 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;&gt;news:<a href="mailto:i0gdb2t4sojl9pt31j6o19q4n5vi6nk3bd&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">i0gdb2t4sojl9pt31j6o19q4n5vi6nk3bd&#64;4ax.com</a>:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Cherry-Chocolate-Chip-Banana-Nut Bread
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
&gt;&gt;&gt; Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
&gt;&gt;&gt; Categories : Breads - Quick
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
&gt;&gt;&gt; -------- ------------ --------------------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 1/2 cup shortening
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you
use
&gt;&gt;for 'shortening'.
&gt;
&gt; It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
&gt; this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
&gt; that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
&gt; prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
&gt; travel?

ROFL!!

No. Been there, watched the shows but didn't go into any 'certain
houses'!!

But one wonders what reason/use they would have for it!!

#30: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:03:02 by LucasP

Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:jbndb2t2at5s7tvj1bb5j1kppb48496ohl&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">jbndb2t2at5s7tvj1bb5j1kppb48496ohl&#64;4ax.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; &lt;Damsel looks around innocently&gt;

The last time *you* looked around innocently was when your eyesight
finally focussed at about 3 weeks of age!! :-)

&gt;
&gt; What? What are you talking about? Certainly not &quot;Bond, Peter Bond&quot;

That's it!! I'm going to change the photo!!

#31: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:06:56 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 00:03:02 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;news:<a href="mailto:jbndb2t2at5s7tvj1bb5j1kppb48496ohl&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">jbndb2t2at5s7tvj1bb5j1kppb48496ohl&#64;4ax.com</a>:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; &lt;Damsel looks around innocently&gt;
&gt;
&gt;The last time *you* looked around innocently was when your eyesight
&gt;finally focussed at about 3 weeks of age!! :-)

HEY!

&gt;&gt; What? What are you talking about? Certainly not &quot;Bond, Peter Bond&quot;
&gt;
&gt;That's it!! I'm going to change the photo!!

And you think posting the one with the plane would change anything?
HA!

Carol

#32: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:09:58 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 13 Jul 2006 23:59:26 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;news:<a href="mailto:paidb2h8u2hfnkudoo9b83pb69j8irstf9&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">paidb2h8u2hfnkudoo9b83pb69j8irstf9&#64;4ax.com</a>:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; On 13 Jul 2006 22:10:56 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it once I find out what you
&gt;&gt;&gt;use for 'shortening'.

I've now changed the recipe to read, &quot;shortening or butter.&quot;

&gt;&gt; It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
&gt;&gt; this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
&gt;&gt; that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
&gt;&gt; prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
&gt;&gt; travel?
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;ROFL!!
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;No. Been there, watched the shows but didn't go into any 'certain
&gt;houses'!!

Good boy. :o)

&gt;But one wonders what reason/use they would have for it!!

I try not to think that creatively.

Carol

#33: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:11:35 by cybercat

&quot;-L.&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:gentleboa&#64;peacemail.com" target="_blank">gentleboa&#64;peacemail.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:1152829960.882331.136240&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com..." target="_blank">1152829960.882331.136240&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...</a>
&gt;
&gt; Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
&gt; &gt; Your best mom memories?
&gt; &gt; -ginny
&gt;
&gt; Wow - my Mom was an awesome cook. Her pot roast was the best. And
&gt; vegetable soup - I can duplicate it, but I don't make it nearly often
&gt; enough. And baked Macaroni and Cheese - the old-fashioned thick kind
&gt; so many people love. It makes me sad to think about it too much.
&gt;
&gt; Like ginny said - it doesn't get better, just different.
&gt;

My mom made that macaroni and cheese and it was one of the first
things she let us make on our own! She made really good chicken
and dumplings, terrific holiday dinners (that dressing, and yes it WAS
in the bird--there is nothing like it ..) but mostly she was a baker. A
really fine baker. The smell of baking apples and cakes and pastry
was one I grew up with. And cookies. And she made two dishes
I have never seen since--one she called &quot;stuffed pork chops&quot; and
one was some sort of pounded steak that was then lightly breaded,
browned then braised in a tomato based sauce. That sound familiar
to anyone? I cannot recall what she called it.

#34: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:13:12 by LucasP

news:<a href="mailto:pundb2le80qcjqvfvjssa4o753krahfb8g&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">pundb2le80qcjqvfvjssa4o753krahfb8g&#64;4ax.com</a>:

&gt; On 14 Jul 2006 00:03:02 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;&gt;news:<a href="mailto:jbndb2t2at5s7tvj1bb5j1kppb48496ohl&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">jbndb2t2at5s7tvj1bb5j1kppb48496ohl&#64;4ax.com</a>:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;Damsel looks around innocently&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;The last time *you* looked around innocently was when your eyesight
&gt;&gt;finally focussed at about 3 weeks of age!! :-)
&gt;
&gt; HEY!

What? You resemble that remark?? :-)

&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; What? What are you talking about? Certainly not &quot;Bond, Peter Bond&quot;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;That's it!! I'm going to change the photo!!
&gt;
&gt; And you think posting the one with the plane would change anything?
&gt; HA!

The one I sent is on the inside of the plane :-)

#35: Re: Shortening...... and booze.

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:17:54 by Nancy Young

&quot;PeterL&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote

Usually when I see shortening I think of Crisco ... vegetable
shortening.

&gt; Bit fuzzy this morning. Went with an *evil* mate and picked up 9 cartons
&gt; of
&gt; RTD's yesterday, for the party/boat trip tomorrow. We stopped off at the
&gt; pub at midday &quot;for a quick one&quot; according to him, and finished up at 10pm
&gt; last night :-/
&gt;
&gt; Today we're going to go and pick up about 15 slabs of hot's and early
&gt; tomorrow we'll be getting the other 16 slabs of coldies. (There'll be 85
&gt; people all up!! And some of it is for another party we're having on the
&gt; 28th.)
&gt;
&gt; So there'll be no posts from me for a couple of days!!

Have fun! Watch out for the hotties.

nancy

#36: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:19:33 by LucasP

Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:04odb2hoeo2eviu14tru0k5d99jikff528&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">04odb2hoeo2eviu14tru0k5d99jikff528&#64;4ax.com</a>:

&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;No. Been there, watched the shows but didn't go into any 'certain
&gt;&gt;houses'!!
&gt;
&gt; Good boy. :o)

Besides, I had to save mt $$'s for other forms of 'jumping' :-)

&gt;
&gt;&gt;But one wonders what reason/use they would have for it!!
&gt;
&gt; I try not to think that creatively.
&gt;

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

#37: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:20:28 by LadyJane

PeterL wrote:

&gt; Besides, Pt Lookout is closer to the pub :-)
and a very nice pub it is too!

&gt; In a house, with a large deck overlooking Pipeline Beach(?), just a
&gt; short walk to the pub...... it was heaven :-)

Cylinder Beach.... which got it's names because way back a supply boat
used to drop off gas cylinders for the lighthouse (at the Point) at
that particular beach.

&gt; &gt; btw... interesting topics on discussion on alt.ozdebate Mr. SS...
&gt; &gt; hehehehe
&gt;
&gt; Me??!! A S***Stirrer!!??

Sky Skum wasn't it? Not S Stirrer!! hehehe

&gt; I've always managed to have at least 2-3 stalkers at a time follow me
&gt; around. Something about living their pathetic lives vicariously thru'
&gt; mine :-)

cripes... I hope you're not serious! me?
or did you mean the subject of your wrath, Mrs F on alt.ozdeb? Sure
hope so!

LJ

#38: Re: Shortening...... and booze.

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:22:58 by LucasP

&quot;Nancy Young&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote in
news:e96ns0$9da$<a href="mailto:1&#64;news.monmouth.com" target="_blank">1&#64;news.monmouth.com</a>:

&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Today we're going to go and pick up about 15 slabs of hot's and early
&gt;&gt; tomorrow we'll be getting the other 16 slabs of coldies. (There'll be
&gt;&gt; 85 people all up!! And some of it is for another party we're having
&gt;&gt; on the 28th.)
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; So there'll be no posts from me for a couple of days!!
&gt;
&gt; Have fun! Watch out for the hotties.
&gt;

LOL!! After a couple or 7 beers, all women start to look like hotties
:-)

But, no.... these hot's are hot beers. Not hot per se, but room temp. So
that we can save them for later if they don't get thrown on ice and
drunk on the weekend. If you chill a beer, you have to keep it chilled
because if you let it go back to room temp, it ruins the flavour.

And we have *way* too many beers to have them all chilled at once.

#39: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:28:23 by BOB

&quot;Tara&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:jarvis57&#64;ix.netcom.com" target="_blank">jarvis57&#64;ix.netcom.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:7cmdb25stajhu7jljppivq2uck4ps856sd&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">7cmdb25stajhu7jljppivq2uck4ps856sd&#64;4ax.com</a>
:: On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:55:20 -1200, &quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot;
:: &lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote:
::
::: Your best mom memories?
::
:: My mom is still with us, but she doesn't cook anymore. What I
really
:: miss is her cornbread baked in a cast iron mold pan -- the
cornbread
:: came out in sticks shaped like corn on the cob. It tasted so
good --
:: just the right amound of crust. I think the pan was lost in a
move.
:: I'm not very sentimental about &quot;stuff&quot;, but I do wish I had that
pan.
::
:: Tara

This is what you want. This one makes 9 cornsticks at a time. They
also have 5 and 7 stick pans.

I have several of the 5 cornstick pans, but haven't used them in
years...I just might have to pull them out, dust 'em off and bake some
cornsticks. Yhanks for the reminder.

BOB
wondering how they would taste if I baked them in (one of the)
smoker(s)

#40: Re: Best Mum memories....

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:28:29 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152836428.380795.309230&#64;p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152836428.380795.309230&#64;p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; PeterL wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Besides, Pt Lookout is closer to the pub :-)
&gt; and a very nice pub it is too!
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt; In a house, with a large deck overlooking Pipeline Beach(?), just a
&gt;&gt; short walk to the pub...... it was heaven :-)
&gt;
&gt; Cylinder Beach.... which got it's names because way back a supply boat
&gt; used to drop off gas cylinders for the lighthouse (at the Point) at
&gt; that particular beach.

Hey!! I was close!! Pipeline/Cylinder......... :-)

&gt;
&gt;&gt; &gt; btw... interesting topics on discussion on alt.ozdebate Mr. SS...
&gt;&gt; &gt; hehehehe
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Me??!! A S***Stirrer!!??
&gt;
&gt; Sky Skum wasn't it? Not S Stirrer!! hehehe

Much the same :-)

&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt; I've always managed to have at least 2-3 stalkers at a time follow me
&gt;&gt; around. Something about living their pathetic lives vicariously thru'
&gt;&gt; mine :-)
&gt;
&gt; cripes... I hope you're not serious! me?

Nahh, not you.

But the stalkers, yes. Even had to take a Restraining Order out against
one of them!!

&gt; or did you mean the subject of your wrath, Mrs F on alt.ozdeb? Sure
&gt; hope so!

That's the one. Every time there's a full moon, she comes out and rants
and raves about me :-)

Couldn't handle the rejection, I s'pose :-)

#41: Re: Shortening...... and booze.

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:30:51 by LadyJane

PeterL wrote:

&gt; And we have *way* too many beers to have them all chilled at once.

Then in my opinion you need a MUCH bigger boat with more fridge space.
(Love the FOUREX ads.... now THERE'S ingenuitity in cooling beers for
you!)

Sounds like some of the weekends we spent BK (before kids).... ahh

Just make sure to keep your bouyancy vest firmly buckled at all times
Peter,
and have a great weekends 'fishing'....(aka: boozing to the
uninitiated!)
And at least dangle a line in so you CAN honestly say you did fish!!

;-) hehehe

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#42: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:32:08 by Nancy Young

&quot;PeterL&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote

&gt; Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote

&gt;&gt; It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
&gt;&gt; this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
&gt;&gt; that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
&gt;&gt; prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
&gt;&gt; travel?

&gt; ROFL!!

&gt; No. Been there, watched the shows but didn't go into any 'certain
&gt; houses'!!
&gt;
&gt; But one wonders what reason/use they would have for it!!

For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.

nancy

#43: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:38:25 by LadyJane

Nancy Young wrote:

&gt; For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;
&gt; nancy

ewwww Nancy.... NOT a nice mental image.

Given the climate in that part of the world would probably be a
drawback, perhaps to aid lubrication? (batting eyelashes demurely.....)
Conjures up images of those 'greasy pig' contests.... perhaps that's a
possibility.

hehehe

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#44: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:45:45 by elaine

&gt; Your best mom memories?
&gt; -ginny

No special cooking ones

Pity.

Am I the only one?

Elaine

#45: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:54:59 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:28:23 -0400, &quot; BOB&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:abc&#64;defg.com" target="_blank">abc&#64;defg.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;<a href="https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&amp;idProduct=3956" target="_blank"> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=log ic&amp;idProduct=3956</a>
&gt;
&gt;This is what you want. This one makes 9 cornsticks at a time. They
&gt;also have 5 and 7 stick pans.

Boli makes salmon cakes in one of these. Some really cool RFCer gave
him one from an antique shop a few years ago.

Carol

#46: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:56:02 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:32:08 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;&quot;PeterL&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; It's a solid, vegetable oil-based replacement for lard. I've made
&gt;&gt;&gt; this with butter, no problem. We have established in previous threads
&gt;&gt;&gt; that you can get Crisco vegetable shortening at certain houses of
&gt;&gt;&gt; prostitution in Amsterdam. Have you made any plans for European
&gt;&gt;&gt; travel?
&gt;
&gt;&gt; ROFL!!
&gt;
&gt;&gt; No. Been there, watched the shows but didn't go into any 'certain
&gt;&gt; houses'!!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; But one wonders what reason/use they would have for it!!
&gt;
&gt;For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.

What? Everyone bakes chocolate chip cookies??

Carol

#47: Re: Shortening...... and booze.

Posted on 2006-07-14 02:58:30 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152837051.056208.309320&#64;35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152837051.056208.309320&#64;35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; PeterL wrote:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt; And we have *way* too many beers to have them all chilled at once.
&gt;
&gt; Then in my opinion you need a MUCH bigger boat with more fridge space.
&gt; (Love the FOUREX ads.... now THERE'S ingenuitity in cooling beers for
&gt; you!)

One mans ode to XXXX ..........

But for those of you who would like to watch the ad's........

sign in (as long as you are over 18yo!!) and then go to the bottom and
click on Watch TV Ads. There's about 4 of them. Quite good too :-)

&gt;
&gt; Sounds like some of the weekends we spent BK (before kids).... ahh
&gt;
&gt; Just make sure to keep your bouyancy vest firmly buckled at all times
&gt; Peter,

I can swim good :-)

&gt; and have a great weekends 'fishing'....(aka: boozing to the
&gt; uninitiated!)
&gt; And at least dangle a line in so you CAN honestly say you did fish!!

The boat is too big, and too fast for fishing!!

We're just doing a 2&amp;1/2 hour cruise round the Bay (and some of the
Islands) then up the River to the Casino, there for 4 hours, and then back
out around the bay for another 2&amp;1/2 hours :-)

No time for fishing :-)

#48: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:01:15 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 02:11:35 +0200, &quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt;
wrote:

&gt;My mom made that macaroni and cheese and it was one of the first
&gt;things she let us make on our own! She made really good chicken
&gt;and dumplings, terrific holiday dinners (that dressing, and yes it WAS
&gt;in the bird--there is nothing like it ..) but mostly she was a baker. A
&gt;really fine baker. The smell of baking apples and cakes and pastry
&gt;was one I grew up with. And cookies.

Same here. Mom was the Martha Stewart of our community when it came
to big family dinners. Amazing!

&gt; And she made two dishes
&gt;I have never seen since--one she called &quot;stuffed pork chops&quot; and
&gt;one was some sort of pounded steak that was then lightly breaded,
&gt;browned then braised in a tomato based sauce. That sound familiar
&gt;to anyone? I cannot recall what she called it.

Stuffed pork chops are generally thick-cut chops that you cut in half
across, to the bone. Then you put in the stuffing (usually some kind
of bread stuffing) of your choice, and bake until the meat is cooked
through. It's a good idea to line the pan with foil. These things
stick something fierce,

Swiss steak is the other dish you mentioned. Sometimes has onions and
green peppers with it, sometimes just the tomato sauce.

Carol

#49: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:06:12 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152837505.112922.92860&#64;75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152837505.112922.92860&#64;75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; Nancy Young wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; nancy
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; ewwww Nancy.... NOT a nice mental image.
&gt;
&gt; Given the climate in that part of the world would probably be a
&gt; drawback, perhaps to aid lubrication? (batting eyelashes
demurely.....)

[SHOCK!! HORROR!!]

When Chrisco parties was mentioned, I naturally thought of Mrs Santa
Clause!!
Speaking of which, I haven't seen her for quite some time!!

#50: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:06:48 by Nancy Young

&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote

&gt; On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:32:08 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;&gt;For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;
&gt; What? Everyone bakes chocolate chip cookies??

Exactly! Cookie cookin parties.

nancy

#51: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:08:59 by LucasP

&quot;Nancy Young&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote in news:e96qnl$akn$1
@news.monmouth.com:

&gt;
&gt; &quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;
&gt;&gt; On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:32:08 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; What? Everyone bakes chocolate chip cookies??
&gt;
&gt; Exactly! Cookie cookin parties.
&gt;

And I know what *sort* of cookies too!!

Least then, they don't have to smoke it!!

#52: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:22:29 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:06:48 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;
&gt;&gt; On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:32:08 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; What? Everyone bakes chocolate chip cookies??
&gt;
&gt;Exactly! Cookie cookin parties.

That's what I thought. Nice that you and I are on the same
wavelength. Or does that frighten you? &lt;E&gt;G

Didja read the stuff I e-mailed you?

Carol

#53: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:23:15 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 01:08:59 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;&quot;Nancy Young&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote in news:e96qnl$akn$1
&gt;@news.monmouth.com:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; &quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:32:08 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; What? Everyone bakes chocolate chip cookies??
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Exactly! Cookie cookin parties.
&gt;
&gt;And I know what *sort* of cookies too!!
&gt;
&gt;Least then, they don't have to smoke it!!

Who would put tobacco into cookies, silly?

Carol

#54: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:28:09 by LucasP

Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:bfsdb29k3qnfs7jbhurkld0237slp6javo&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">bfsdb29k3qnfs7jbhurkld0237slp6javo&#64;4ax.com</a>:

&gt; On 14 Jul 2006 01:08:59 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&quot;Nancy Young&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote in news:e96qnl$akn$1
&gt;&gt;@news.monmouth.com:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:32:08 -0400, &quot;Nancy Young&quot;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:qwerty&#64;monmouth.com" target="_blank">qwerty&#64;monmouth.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;For Crisco parties, silly! Geez.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; What? Everyone bakes chocolate chip cookies??
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Exactly! Cookie cookin parties.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;And I know what *sort* of cookies too!!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Least then, they don't have to smoke it!!
&gt;
&gt; Who would put tobacco into cookies, silly?

Do you play a banjo??!! ;-P

They don't put tobacco in it, silly. They mow their grass and put *that*
in it!!

#55: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:31:24 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 01:28:09 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Damsel in dis Dress &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;news:<a href="mailto:bfsdb29k3qnfs7jbhurkld0237slp6javo&#64;4ax.com" target="_blank">bfsdb29k3qnfs7jbhurkld0237slp6javo&#64;4ax.com</a>:
&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;@news.monmouth.com:
[...]
&gt;Do you play a banjo??!! ;-P

&lt;Damsel bares all four of her teeth at Peter&gt;

&gt;They don't put tobacco in it, silly. They mow their grass and put *that*
&gt;in it!!
&gt;
&gt;<a href="http://recipes.marijuana.com/list.php?pagenum=0&amp;categoryid=8" target="_blank"> http://recipes.marijuana.com/list.php?pagenum=0&amp;category id=8</a>

Lawn clippings in cookies? Yuck!

Carol

#56: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:48:34 by LadyJane

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt;
&gt; Lawn clippings in cookies? Yuck!
&gt;
&gt; Carol

But, but, but Carol....
THAT way you get your chlorophyl at the same time as your carbs!!!

Makes PERFECT sense... and especially useful on St. Patrick's Day!

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#57: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 03:57:04 by Chandell

Thank you so very much. And I enjoyed, very much, your big cyber-hug
and I am sending you one back.

Now I'm going to read everyone's fond memories of their mothers.

Mark

#58: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 04:08:40 by LucasP

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
news:<a href="mailto:1152841714.579384.277630&#64;h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152841714.579384.277630&#64;h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com</a>:

&gt;
&gt; Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Lawn clippings in cookies? Yuck!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Carol
&gt;
&gt; But, but, but Carol....
&gt; THAT way you get your chlorophyl at the same time as your carbs!!!

And they don't use the good lawn clippings either, just the 'weed'
part!!

#59: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 05:18:08 by cybercat

&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote

&gt; Swiss steak is the other dish you mentioned. Sometimes has onions and
&gt; green peppers with it, sometimes just the tomato sauce.

That's it! It was driving me crazy, thanks, Carol.

It was good, too. I might try to make it.

#60: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 05:55:20 by Virginia Tadrzynski

I remember a few years ago, Sheryl Rosen posted of her dad's passing and the
food tastes and slightly odd food items that bring their memories flooding
back. We all posted items that reminded us of our deceased relatives that
brought smiles to our faces.

[...]

Your best mom memories?
-ginny

#61: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 06:16:51 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 13 Jul 2006 18:48:34 -0700, &quot;LadyJane&quot;
&lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Lawn clippings in cookies? Yuck!
&gt;
&gt;But, but, but Carol....
&gt;THAT way you get your chlorophyl at the same time as your carbs!!!
&gt;
&gt;Makes PERFECT sense... and especially useful on St. Patrick's Day!

You're right. Peter is a brilliant man.

Carol

#62: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 06:25:22 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 02:08:40 GMT, PeterL &lt;<a href="mailto:inbrissie&#64;home.oz" target="_blank">inbrissie&#64;home.oz</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in
&gt;news:<a href="mailto:1152841714.579384.277630&#64;h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1152841714.579384.277630&#64;h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com</a>:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Lawn clippings in cookies? Yuck!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; But, but, but Carol....
&gt;&gt; THAT way you get your chlorophyl at the same time as your carbs!!!
&gt;
&gt;And they don't use the good lawn clippings either, just the 'weed'
&gt;part!!

Eeeewwww! Dandelion cookies!

Carol

#63: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 06:46:08 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 05:18:08 +0200, &quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt;
wrote:

&gt;&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Swiss steak is the other dish you mentioned. Sometimes has onions and
&gt;&gt; green peppers with it, sometimes just the tomato sauce.
&gt;
&gt;That's it! It was driving me crazy, thanks, Carol.
&gt;
&gt;It was good, too. I might try to make it.

Glad I could help. I know how that feels. You KNOW what it is, but
your brain flatly refuses to access that data.

Crash likes this made with Campbell's tomato soup. I cry for sad.

Carol

#64: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 07:38:01 by BOB

&quot;Damsel in dat Dress&quot; wrote
&gt; On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:28:23 -0400, &quot; BOB&quot;wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; <a href="https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&amp;idProduct=3956" target="_blank"> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=log ic&amp;idProduct=3956</a>
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; This is what you want. This one makes 9 cornsticks at a time.
&gt;&gt; They
&gt;&gt; also have 5 and 7 stick pans.
&gt;
&gt; Boli makes salmon cakes in one of these. Some really cool RFCer
&gt; gave
&gt; him one from an antique shop a few years ago.
&gt; <a href="https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&amp;idProduct=3952" target="_blank"> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=log ic&amp;idProduct=3952</a>
&gt;
&gt; Carol

I keep looking at those, and the cactus ones. Can't (yet) justify the
price just to take up space for different shapes of cornbread. Salmon
cakes, huh? Never thought about using them for anything other than
cornbread/sticks. Something like that just might make the
justification easier. What would work for the cactus? Ice cubes for
margaritas?
'-)

BOB

#65: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 07:55:34 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:38:01 -0400, &quot; BOB&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:abc&#64;defg.com" target="_blank">abc&#64;defg.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;&quot;Damsel in dat Dress&quot; wrote
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Boli makes salmon cakes in one of these. Some really cool RFCer
&gt;&gt; gave
&gt;&gt; him one from an antique shop a few years ago.
&gt;&gt; <a href="https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&amp;idProduct=3952" target="_blank"> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=log ic&amp;idProduct=3952</a>
&gt;
&gt;I keep looking at those, and the cactus ones. Can't (yet) justify the
&gt;price just to take up space for different shapes of cornbread. Salmon
&gt;cakes, huh? Never thought about using them for anything other than
&gt;cornbread/sticks. Something like that just might make the
&gt;justification easier. What would work for the cactus? Ice cubes for
&gt;margaritas?
&gt;'-)

If I had the cactus ones (bear in mind that this is me, and not
someone who actually knows what they're doing), I'd make cornbread,
but I'd dump in a can of green chilies.

Carol

#66: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 09:27:47 by not really

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 14 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

&gt; On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:38:01 -0400, &quot; BOB&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:abc&#64;defg.com" target="_blank">abc&#64;defg.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &gt;&quot;Damsel in dat Dress&quot; wrote
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; Boli makes salmon cakes in one of these. Some really cool RFCer
&gt; &gt;&gt; gave
&gt; &gt;&gt; him one from an antique shop a few years ago.
&gt; &gt;&gt; <a href="https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&amp;idPro" target="_blank"> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=log ic&amp;idPro</a>
&gt; &gt;&gt; duct=3952
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;I keep looking at those, and the cactus ones. Can't (yet) justify
&gt; &gt;the price just to take up space for different shapes of cornbread.
&gt; &gt;Salmon cakes, huh? Never thought about using them for anything other
&gt; &gt;than cornbread/sticks. Something like that just might make the
&gt; &gt;justification easier. What would work for the cactus? Ice cubes for
&gt; &gt;margaritas?
&gt; &gt;'-)
&gt;
&gt; If I had the cactus ones (bear in mind that this is me, and not
&gt; someone who actually knows what they're doing), I'd make cornbread,
&gt; but I'd dump in a can of green chilies.
&gt;
&gt; Carol
&gt;

I put green chiles in my cornbread and creamed corn...in a 9X9 pan. So
don't wait for the cactus mold.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

#67: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 09:29:02 by Ophelia

&quot;Andy&quot; &lt;q&gt; wrote in message news:<a href="mailto:Xns97FFA5EE3294Dcotd&#64;216.196.97.136..." target="_blank">Xns97FFA5EE3294Dcotd&#64;216.196.97.136...</a>
&gt; My favorite memory was the &quot;$Million-dollar lunchbox&quot; in first grade. We
&gt; gathered in the cafeteria for lunchtime and I opened up my lunchbox and
&gt; my thermos was missing. My sandwich was missing. My cookies were missing.
&gt; But magically in there place was Mom's wallet. She must've been hungover
&gt; or SOMETHING! I opened her wallet and it was full of money and credit
&gt; cards and change and (I've told this before) I made a 1st grade executive
&gt; decision and took 35 cents and bought a hot lunch AND chocolate milks.
&gt; Living large for a day. :)

Well I haven't heard it before:)) LOL you were most restrained:)

#68: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 09:52:19 by unknown

Post removed (X-No-Archive: yes)

#69: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 19:25:49 by dmbcurrie.nospam

&quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:44b6a5c5$0$3633$<a href="mailto:cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net..." target="_blank">cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net...</a>
&gt; Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom cook
&gt; that
&gt; you remember most?

Mom and I had a turbulent relationship, at best, from beginning to end. And
there were plenty of times when she wasn't much of a mom.

However, she was a good cook. And when she wasn't cooking, it forced me to
learn as a survival strategy, so that's a plus.

And cooking soup calmed her when she was mad. A little bit, at least. Maybe
it was whacking the vegetables in chunks that got out some of the
frustration.

I remember one day when I got home from school and there were 4 pots of soup
simmering on the stove and she was at the counter massacring more
vegetables. It was a moment of mixed emotions. The soups smelled good; there
was going to be some good eatin'. But she was in one heck of a foul mood,
and that wasn't going to make for a very pleasant evening.

Donna

#70: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 20:18:09 by cybercat

&quot;D.Currie&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:dmbcurrie.nospam&#64;hotmail.com" target="_blank">dmbcurrie.nospam&#64;hotmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:4hq2d2Fp8oqU1&#64;individual.net..." target="_blank">4hq2d2Fp8oqU1&#64;individual.net...</a>
&gt;
&gt; &quot;Virginia Tadrzynski&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:tadx6&#64;enter.net" target="_blank">tadx6&#64;enter.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
&gt; news:44b6a5c5$0$3633$<a href="mailto:cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net..." target="_blank">cd3e3bf6&#64;news.enter.net...</a>
&gt; &gt; Now. For the rest of us. A new thread.........what did your mom cook
&gt; &gt; that
&gt; &gt; you remember most?
&gt;
&gt; Mom and I had a turbulent relationship, at best, from beginning to end.
And
&gt; there were plenty of times when she wasn't much of a mom.
&gt;
&gt; However, she was a good cook. And when she wasn't cooking, it forced me to
&gt; learn as a survival strategy, so that's a plus.
&gt;
&gt; And cooking soup calmed her when she was mad. A little bit, at least.
Maybe
&gt; it was whacking the vegetables in chunks that got out some of the
&gt; frustration.
&gt;
&gt; I remember one day when I got home from school and there were 4 pots of
soup
&gt; simmering on the stove and she was at the counter massacring more
&gt; vegetables. It was a moment of mixed emotions. The soups smelled good;
there
&gt; was going to be some good eatin'. But she was in one heck of a foul mood,
&gt; and that wasn't going to make for a very pleasant evening.
&gt;

That is so sad. My Mom was actually a better Mom than a cook. I wish I had
appreciated her more while she was here.

#71: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 20:21:40 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 14 Jul 2006 20:18:09 +0200, &quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt;
wrote:

&gt; My Mom was actually a better Mom than a cook.

My mom was wonderful and terrible at both.

&gt; I wish I had appreciated her more while she was here.

Me too.

Carol

#72: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-14 22:00:45 by cybercat

&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:h1ofb2dh1qg7k9dlesqunvemmfcbripfi1&#64;4ax.com..." target="_blank">h1ofb2dh1qg7k9dlesqunvemmfcbripfi1&#64;4ax.com...</a>
&gt; On 14 Jul 2006 20:18:09 +0200, &quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt;
&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &gt; My Mom was actually a better Mom than a cook.
&gt;
&gt; My mom was wonderful and terrible at both.

That must have been intense! Thinking about it, I think what I meant
was that Donna's post about how her mom chopped vegetables when
in a black mood made me realize that my mother was nearly always
loving and gentle--with us, though she was smart and volatile and did
have her moods and frustrations. I have been quick to note her shortcomings
in the past, I certainly should be willing to acknowledge her good
points.

She was not big on guidance, she overcooked the vegetables, but
she surely got the love right. Day in, day out, for many years.

&gt; &gt; I wish I had appreciated her more while she was here.
&gt;
&gt; Me too.
&gt;

*nodding*

#73: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-15 01:58:31 by dmbcurrie.nospam

&quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:44b7f7ed$<a href="mailto:1_1&#64;x-privat.org..." target="_blank">1_1&#64;x-privat.org...</a>
&gt;
&gt; &quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
&gt; news:<a href="mailto:h1ofb2dh1qg7k9dlesqunvemmfcbripfi1&#64;4ax.com..." target="_blank">h1ofb2dh1qg7k9dlesqunvemmfcbripfi1&#64;4ax.com...</a>
&gt;&gt; On 14 Jul 2006 20:18:09 +0200, &quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt;
&gt;&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; &gt; My Mom was actually a better Mom than a cook.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; My mom was wonderful and terrible at both.
&gt;
&gt; That must have been intense! Thinking about it, I think what I meant
&gt; was that Donna's post about how her mom chopped vegetables when
&gt; in a black mood made me realize that my mother was nearly always
&gt; loving and gentle--with us, though she was smart and volatile and did
&gt; have her moods and frustrations. I have been quick to note her
&gt; shortcomings
&gt; in the past, I certainly should be willing to acknowledge her good
&gt; points.
&gt;
&gt; She was not big on guidance, she overcooked the vegetables, but
&gt; she surely got the love right. Day in, day out, for many years.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt; &gt; I wish I had appreciated her more while she was here.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Me too.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt; *nodding*
&gt;

I wish I had your mom. But it's okay. What doesn't kill you makes you
stronger.

I avoid saying nasty things about my mom in front of people I don't know
well, so I'll say the two nicest things I can about her: she was a good cook
and she liked my husband.

Donna

#74: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-16 01:27:17 by cybercat

&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote

&gt;
&gt; Crash likes this made with Campbell's tomato soup. I cry for sad.
&gt;
lol

#75: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-16 01:31:26 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 16 Jul 2006 01:27:17 +0200, &quot;cybercat&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com" target="_blank">cyberpurrs&#64;yahoo.com</a>&gt; wrote
(regarding Swiss Steak):

&gt;&quot;Damsel in dis Dress&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">damsel.in.dis.dress&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Crash likes this made with Campbell's tomato soup. I cry for sad.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;lol

Some things should just be illegal. But it's what he grew up with.

Carol, wiping away a single tear

#76: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-16 05:58:33 by LadyJane

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt; If I had the cactus ones (bear in mind that this is me, and not
&gt; someone who actually knows what they're doing), I'd make cornbread,
&gt; but I'd dump in a can of green chilies.
&gt;
&gt; Carol

Being south of the equator cornbread isn't exactly commonplace here.
Having read about it's wonderful-ness over many years, have been in
search of corn meal over the last two days and with no luck. Tried
supermarkets, health food stores, organic stores and to no avail.
&quot;Do you mean cornflour madam?&quot;
Doh! No I bloody don't!
So..... decided to substitute.
Have just made a batch of cornbread using ..... polenta.

The result was delicious. A thumbs-up from Graeme. and we've polished
off 2 each with lashings of butter straight from the oven.
The bread was almost a cross between a cake and a bread. Crumbly
texture - the polenta adding a nice 'crunch'.
Just wondering whether this is in any way an approximation of what you
all in the USA rave about?
Perhaps if I whizzed the polenta around in my food processor for a
minute or two the grains would be smaller and yield less 'crunch'
(although I enjoyed it!)
I used a 8 mini bar loaf cake pan (the one I use for individual
Yorkshire puds)
here's a pic
and here's a closeup of the cut bread
Do these look remotely like (albeit non-corncob shape) what they
should?
Any tips? Suggestions? Anyone?
If I KNEW what cornbread was like, maybe I'd stand a chance of
replicating it. LOL.
Expectantly awaiting guidance ...

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;

#77: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-16 13:47:58 by not really

LadyJane wrote on 15 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

&gt;
&gt; Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
&gt; &gt; If I had the cactus ones (bear in mind that this is me, and not
&gt; &gt; someone who actually knows what they're doing), I'd make cornbread,
&gt; &gt; but I'd dump in a can of green chilies.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Carol
&gt;
&gt; Being south of the equator cornbread isn't exactly commonplace here.
&gt; Having read about it's wonderful-ness over many years, have been in
&gt; search of corn meal over the last two days and with no luck. Tried
&gt; supermarkets, health food stores, organic stores and to no avail.
&gt; &quot;Do you mean cornflour madam?&quot;
&gt; Doh! No I bloody don't!
&gt; So..... decided to substitute.
&gt; Have just made a batch of cornbread using ..... polenta.
&gt;
&gt; The result was delicious. A thumbs-up from Graeme. and we've polished
&gt; off 2 each with lashings of butter straight from the oven.
&gt; The bread was almost a cross between a cake and a bread. Crumbly
&gt; texture - the polenta adding a nice 'crunch'.
&gt; Just wondering whether this is in any way an approximation of what you
&gt; all in the USA rave about?
&gt; Perhaps if I whizzed the polenta around in my food processor for a
&gt; minute or two the grains would be smaller and yield less 'crunch'
&gt; (although I enjoyed it!)
&gt; I used a 8 mini bar loaf cake pan (the one I use for individual
&gt; Yorkshire puds)
&gt; here's a pic
&gt; <a href="http://i1.tinypic.com/205bkhy.jpg" target="_blank">http://i1.tinypic.com/205bkhy.jpg</a>
&gt; and here's a closeup of the cut bread
&gt; <a href="http://i1.tinypic.com/205bimo.jpg" target="_blank">http://i1.tinypic.com/205bimo.jpg</a>
&gt; Do these look remotely like (albeit non-corncob shape) what they
&gt; should?
&gt; Any tips? Suggestions? Anyone?
&gt; If I KNEW what cornbread was like, maybe I'd stand a chance of
&gt; replicating it. LOL.
&gt; Expectantly awaiting guidance ...
&gt;
&gt; LadyJane
&gt; --
&gt; &quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;
&gt;
&gt;

Well the cornbread looks about right for colour and texture...which is in
my opinion is a nice golden brown and a light quick bread kinda crumb.

As for shape...I'm in the can you get it outa the pan fast enough corner.
And I make mine in a 9x9 pan.

So which recipe did you follow?...additions? Sweet, not so sweet?
Myself I lean towards the not too sweet, cream corn &amp; green chile type
cornbread.

Here's a picture of corn meal suitable for making cornbread.
Kinda looks no different from polenta fixins to me.

If in your opinion it was 'too' crunchy...don't cook it as long.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Homestyle Cornbread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup sifted flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour milk -- or buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted shortening

Sift four, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into
mixing bowl.
Combine sugar and egg, beat until light. add milk or buttermilk and
shortening. Combine slowly with dry ingredients. If mixture is too
thick add a little more milk as needed to make a thin batter.
Stir only until ingredients are mixed.
Grease pan 9x9x2 generoulsly., sprinkle with cornmeal.
Pour batter in pan and bake in hot oven (425 degrees) about 25 minutes or
until nicely browned.

*I add a can of creamed corn and a can of green chiles and reduce the
sugar to 2 tbsp.

Another one I've tried and found good...

Jill's Cornbread

1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
1 c. white flour
up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 2 Tablespoons)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
1 c. buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; stir in the butter
(softened), shortening/lard or bacon grease. Add the buttermilk and egg
and stir well. Mixture will appear a little lumpy. Pour into a lightly
greased pan (I use an 8&quot; cast iron skillet or my sectioned cast iron
cornbread pan). Bake at 425F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

#78: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-16 18:10:45 by damsel.in.dis.dress

On 15 Jul 2006 20:58:33 -0700, &quot;LadyJane&quot;
[...]

In the US, polenta has been called, &quot;cornmeal mush&quot; until very
recently. I think you nailed it. :)

Carol

#79: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-16 19:03:23 by barbs.challer

In article &lt;<a href="mailto:Xns98024551BF789Incognito&#64;69.28.186.120" target="_blank">Xns98024551BF789Incognito&#64;69.28.186.120</a>&gt;,
Mr Libido Incognito &lt;<a href="mailto:Not&#64;vaild.null" target="_blank">Not&#64;vaild.null</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt; As for shape...I'm in the can you get it outa the pan fast enough corner.

You might be in the can, but if you're making it, YOU can get it out of
the pan. I like to stay out of other people's work. (Yeah, right.)
--
-Barb
&lt;<a href="http://jamlady.eboard.com" target="_blank">http://jamlady.eboard.com</a>&gt; Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch

#80: Re: In Memorium: Mark's Mom

Posted on 2006-07-17 00:46:00 by Phyllis Stone

&quot;LadyJane&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au" target="_blank">ladyjane570305&#64;yahoo.com.au</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:1153022313.394356.121340&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com..." target="_blank">1153022313.394356.121340&#64;i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...</a>
[...]

I use polenta in my cornbread recipe. I make the perfect cornbread for me. I
like grainy cornbread so I use very little flour, cornmeal and polenta.
&gt;

#81: Re:Cornbread take two...

Posted on 2006-07-17 10:05:13 by LadyJane

Yesterdays batch was so well received thought I'd make another batch.
Today I used lard (instead of butter) and added 75g of Roquefort (which
has recently become available again here in Oz... thankyou FDA!!!!!)
A tad more crumbly, but the cheese gives a nice little zap to the taste
buds.
Tastes delicious, if I do say so myself.

Passed on the recipe to my Mum. She rang this afternoon &quot;Is there a
mistake in the recipe? It says 3 Tblsp mayonnaise! Surely that can't be
right. I couldn't taste any mayonnaise in your cornbread!&quot;
Should I also pass on the chocolate cake recipe from RFC (many eons
ago) which had no butter or oil, but used mayonnaise instead?
On second thoughts better not... would mess with her mind too much.
Chocolate cake. Mayonnaise. It does not compute.

Stand by to stand by for more cornbread adaptations. Am definitely
trying a chilli version next I think.

LadyJane
--
&quot;Never trust a skinny cook!&quot;