magret canard quantité par personne, difference between blanquette et fricassee, magret de canard combien de gramme par personne, quantité magret de canard par personne, un magret fait pour combien de personne, quantité par personne pour un filet de canard, coddled vs poached, lentil scum, kimberly @comcast.net @bellsouth.net @hotmail.com mail, magret par personnes

#1: Re: Beets and Vinegar

Posted on 2006-07-12 14:37:27 by barbs.challer

In article &lt;TuDsg.46873$<a href="mailto:VE1.4523&#64;newssvr14.news.prodigy.com" target="_blank">VE1.4523&#64;newssvr14.news.prodigy.com</a>&gt;,
&quot;Alan S&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:nomail&#64;home.net" target="_blank">nomail&#64;home.net</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt; I have a recipe for beets that I like a lot and I was wanting to can them.
&gt; The recipe has enough vinegar in it that they almost taste like pickled
&gt; beets. Since beets are considered low-acid, how much vinegar would it take
&gt; to bring the pH down to a level that I would be able to do the water bath
&gt; method as opposed to the pressure canned method? or should I always do the
&gt; pressure method even if they have a lot of vinegar mixed with them? Is there
&gt; a way to measure the pH of something you want to can?
&gt;
&gt; Thanks!
&gt;
&gt; - A -

Hi, Alan -

Have you poked around the NCHFP (National Center for Home Food
Preservation) site yet? Here are some links to recipes and information
that might be helpful to you.

What does your beet recipe look like? Maybe someone here can give you
an educated opinion about it appropriateness for canning.

Comment: I have in my mind a &quot;rule&quot; that the brines for pickling fresh
vegetables (not fermenting them) are supposed to be at least as much
vinegar to water but I'm not finding a reference to that recommendation
anywhere (I haven't looked *very* hard) ‹ and I see that the recipe on
the NCHFP site for fresh-pack dills is not quite as much vinegar as
water. Maybe Edrena can shed some light there.

Also, the FAQ file for rec.food.preserving is housed here:
Have a look at that, too - it's pretty extensive.

-Barb
&lt;<a href="http://jamlady.eboard.com" target="_blank">http://jamlady.eboard.com</a>&gt; Updated 7-5-06, Pannekoeken
&quot;If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all.&quot;

#2: Re: Beets and Vinegar

Posted on 2006-07-12 20:34:30 by Alan S

&quot;Melba's Jammin'&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:barbs.challer&#64;earthfink.net.invalid" target="_blank">barbs.challer&#64;earthfink.net.invalid</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:barbs.challer-F4BEF4.07372712072006&#64;news.iphouse.com..." target="_blank">barbs.challer-F4BEF4.07372712072006&#64;news.iphouse.com...</a>
&gt; In article &lt;TuDsg.46873$<a href="mailto:VE1.4523&#64;newssvr14.news.prodigy.com" target="_blank">VE1.4523&#64;newssvr14.news.prodigy.com</a>&gt;,
&gt; &quot;Alan S&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:nomail&#64;home.net" target="_blank">nomail&#64;home.net</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; I have a recipe for beets that I like a lot and I was wanting to can
&gt;&gt; them.
&gt;&gt; The recipe has enough vinegar in it that they almost taste like pickled
&gt;&gt; beets. Since beets are considered low-acid, how much vinegar would it
&gt;&gt; take
&gt;&gt; to bring the pH down to a level that I would be able to do the water bath
&gt;&gt; method as opposed to the pressure canned method? or should I always do
&gt;&gt; the
&gt;&gt; pressure method even if they have a lot of vinegar mixed with them? Is
&gt;&gt; there
&gt;&gt; a way to measure the pH of something you want to can?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Thanks!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; - A -
&gt;
&gt; Hi, Alan -
&gt;
&gt; Have you poked around the NCHFP (National Center for Home Food
&gt; Preservation) site yet? Here are some links to recipes and information
&gt; that might be helpful to you.
&gt;
&gt; What does your beet recipe look like? Maybe someone here can give you
&gt; an educated opinion about it appropriateness for canning.
&gt;
&gt; <a href="http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can6b_pickle.html" target="_blank">http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can6b_pickle.html</a>
&gt; <a href="http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/cucumber_pick.html" target="_blank">http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/cucumber_pick.html</a>
&gt; <a href="http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/veg_pick.html" target="_blank">http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/veg_pick.html</a>
&gt;
&gt; Comment: I have in my mind a &quot;rule&quot; that the brines for pickling fresh
&gt; vegetables (not fermenting them) are supposed to be at least as much
&gt; vinegar to water but I'm not finding a reference to that recommendation
&gt; anywhere (I haven't looked *very* hard) &lt; and I see that the recipe on
&gt; the NCHFP site for fresh-pack dills is not quite as much vinegar as
&gt; water. Maybe Edrena can shed some light there.
&gt;
&gt; Also, the FAQ file for rec.food.preserving is housed here:
&gt; <a href="http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm" target="_blank">http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm</a>
&gt; Have a look at that, too - it's pretty extensive.
&gt;
&gt; -Barb
&gt; &lt;<a href="http://jamlady.eboard.com" target="_blank">http://jamlady.eboard.com</a>&gt; Updated 7-5-06, Pannekoeken
&gt; &quot;If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all.&quot;

Thanks for the links and info. I will post the recipe this evening or
tomorrow, I don't have it where I am now.