poids magret de canard par personne, magret canard quantité par personne, difference between blanquette et fricassee, magret de canard combien de gramme par personne, quantité magret de canard par personne, un magret fait pour combien de personne, quantité par personne pour un filet de canard, coddled vs poached, lentil scum, kimberly @comcast.net @bellsouth.net @hotmail.com mail

#1: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-12 17:50:53 by Opinicus

Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop
year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the unripe fruit (about
the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the trees and that set me wondering.
Several decades ago a friend living on the island of Kos gave me a jar of
whole unripe bitter oranges that had been preserved in heavy syrup. (They
weren't glace.) They were incredibly delicious. Does anybody know how to
make these or can anyone point me to a site explaining how to make them?

--
Bob

#2: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-12 21:26:47 by Brian Mailman

Opinicus wrote:

&gt; Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
&gt; grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop
&gt; year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the unripe fruit (about
&gt; the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the trees and that set me wondering.
&gt; Several decades ago a friend living on the island of Kos gave me a jar of
&gt; whole unripe bitter oranges that had been preserved in heavy syrup. (They
&gt; weren't glace.) They were incredibly delicious. Does anybody know how to
&gt; make these or can anyone point me to a site explaining how to make them?

99.9% of what I can find is instructions for candying the peel (and
that's what I've got on my site as well.

I did find this, but it's not whole fruit:

I've read about such things, and I vaguely remember that it involves
poaching the fruit in a simple syrup, letting it sit overnight and
repoaching it in a more concentrated syrup--this is repeated 7-8 times.

Sorry I can't be more help.

B/

#3: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-12 21:49:05 by ellen wickberg

Brian Mailman wrote:
&gt; Opinicus wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
&gt;&gt; grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a bumper
&gt;&gt; crop year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the unripe
&gt;&gt; fruit (about the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the trees and
&gt;&gt; that set me wondering. Several decades ago a friend living on the
&gt;&gt; island of Kos gave me a jar of whole unripe bitter oranges that had
&gt;&gt; been preserved in heavy syrup. (They weren't glace.) They were
&gt;&gt; incredibly delicious. Does anybody know how to make these or can
&gt;&gt; anyone point me to a site explaining how to make them?
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; 99.9% of what I can find is instructions for candying the peel (and
&gt; that's what I've got on my site as well.
&gt;
&gt; I did find this, but it's not whole fruit:
&gt; <a href="http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_name/candied_lemons_and_oranges.html" target="_blank"> http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_name/candied_lemons_and_or anges.html</a>
&gt;
&gt; I've read about such things, and I vaguely remember that it involves
&gt; poaching the fruit in a simple syrup, letting it sit overnight and
&gt; repoaching it in a more concentrated syrup--this is repeated 7-8 times.
&gt;
&gt; Sorry I can't be more help.
&gt;
&gt; B/
That's what I've done with pears ( peeled) and cranberries. It takes
quite a few days. I suspect that it would take even longer with citrus
fruit ( whole that is) and it would be necessary to pierce the skin of
the fruit in many places so that the water/sugar transfer could take place.
Ellen

#4: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-13 03:44:52 by Brian Mailman

ellen wickberg wrote:

&gt; Brian Mailman wrote:
&gt;&gt; Opinicus wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
&gt;&gt;&gt; grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a
&gt;&gt;&gt; bumper crop year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the
&gt;&gt;&gt; unripe fruit (about the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the
&gt;&gt;&gt; trees and that set me wondering. Several decades ago a friend
&gt;&gt;&gt; living on the island of Kos gave me a jar of whole unripe bitter
&gt;&gt;&gt; oranges that had been preserved in heavy syrup. (They weren't
&gt;&gt;&gt; glace.) They were incredibly delicious. Does anybody know how to
&gt;&gt;&gt; make these or can anyone point me to a site explaining how to
&gt;&gt;&gt; make them?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; 99.9% of what I can find is instructions for candying the peel (and
&gt;&gt; that's what I've got on my site as well.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I did find this, but it's not whole fruit:
&gt;&gt; <a href="http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_name/candied_lemons_and_oranges.html" target="_blank"> http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_name/candied_lemons_and_or anges.html</a>
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I've read about such things, and I vaguely remember that it
&gt;&gt; involves poaching the fruit in a simple syrup, letting it sit
&gt;&gt; overnight and repoaching it in a more concentrated syrup--this is
&gt;&gt; repeated 7-8 times.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Sorry I can't be more help.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; B/
&gt; That's what I've done with pears ( peeled) and cranberries.

Thanks for the confirmation....

I was just re-watching Gosford Park and during the &quot;strawberry jam&quot;
segment I was reflecting how very very busy, continuously, a
self-sustaining kitchen would be, getting all this and that preserved
this way and that way during a season getting enough of whatever to last
until the next.

&gt; and it would be necessary to pierce the skin of the fruit in many
&gt; places so that the water/sugar transfer could take place.

Perhaps that's why any of the recipes I found for whole fruit has the
citrus sliced.

Lemme try again... he said &quot;Kos&quot; so I'll refine the search to &quot;Greek AND
candied AND (citrus OR orange) AND recipe&quot; ... nope, it's all candied
peels again or recipes using them.

I think I remember where I saw the recipe for whole candied fruits--it
was in the Time-Life series, &quot;The Good Cook,&quot; and the volume was,
naturally enough &quot;Candies.&quot;

B/

#5: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-13 18:08:09 by Anny Middon

&quot;Opinicus&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:gezgin&#64;spamcop.net" target="_blank">gezgin&#64;spamcop.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:12ba6j197e6nm6b&#64;news.supernews.com..." target="_blank">12ba6j197e6nm6b&#64;news.supernews.com...</a>
&gt; Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
&gt; grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop
&gt; year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the unripe fruit (about
&gt; the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the trees and that set me
&gt; wondering. Several decades ago a friend living on the island of Kos gave
&gt; me a jar of whole unripe bitter oranges that had been preserved in heavy
&gt; syrup. (They weren't glace.) They were incredibly delicious. Does anybody
&gt; know how to make these or can anyone point me to a site explaining how to
&gt; make them?
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; Bob
&gt; <a href="http://www.kanyak.com" target="_blank">http://www.kanyak.com</a>

I seem to remember seeing a recipe for canning kumquats. If you could find
one, I think you could adapt it fairly easily.

Anny

#6: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-13 18:33:16 by Ev Dugan

&gt;&gt;&gt; Opinicus wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; bumper crop year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; unripe fruit (about the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; trees and that set me wondering. Several decades ago a friend
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; living on the island of Kos gave me a jar of whole unripe bitter
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; oranges that had been preserved in heavy syrup. (They weren't
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; glace.) They were incredibly delicious. Does anybody know how to
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; make these or can anyone point me to a site explaining how to
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; make them?
&gt;&gt;&gt;

Recipe for candying whole fruit:

#7: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-13 18:53:17 by Opinicus

&quot;Ev Dugan&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:evdugan&#64;optonline.net" target="_blank">evdugan&#64;optonline.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:7btcb25ak6mlv3l2dstj25uedbanv2fla4&#64;4ax.com..." target="_blank">7btcb25ak6mlv3l2dstj25uedbanv2fla4&#64;4ax.com...</a>

&gt; Recipe for candying whole fruit:
&gt; <a href="http://melindalee.com/recipearchive.html?action=124&amp;item_id=407" target="_blank"> http://melindalee.com/recipearchive.html?action=124&amp;item _id=407</a>

Thanks! It sounds like this might work. I'll just omit the last step (drying
and icing) and leave the fruit in the syrup.

--
Bob

#8: Re: Candied whole unripe citrus

Posted on 2006-07-14 00:50:24 by GreenieLeBrun

Opinicus wrote:
&gt; Our citrus trees (several types of oranges and tangerines and one
&gt; grapefruit) have fruited and it looks like it's going to be a bumper crop
&gt; year. The wind has already begun knocking some of the unripe fruit (about
&gt; the size of a golf ball or smaller) off the trees and that set me wonderi=
ng.
&gt; Several decades ago a friend living on the island of Kos gave me a jar of
&gt; whole unripe bitter oranges that had been preserved in heavy syrup. (They
&gt; weren't glace.) They were incredibly delicious. Does anybody know how to
&gt; make these or can anyone point me to a site explaining how to make them?
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; Bob
&gt; <a href="http://www.kanyak.com" target="_blank">http://www.kanyak.com</a>

My mother (and Grandmother) used to make preserved orang rolls, you may
be able to adapt the following recipie to your small fruit.

Glyko Portokali (Preserved Orange Rolls)

6 large, thick skinned oranges
3 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1=2E Lightly grate entire surface of each orange.
2=2E Score peel deeply from stem end to base into 6 segments and remove
peel carefully.
3=2E Tighty roll up peel, passing a needle and thread through each roll.
4=2E When 12 rolls are threaded, tie ends together to form a circle of
rolls.
5=2E Put threaded rolls into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and
drain immediately.
6=2E repeat boiling and draining process twice more to remove bitterness.
7=2E Cover with cold water and let rolls boil gently until tender.
8=2E Drain and leave until dry.
9=2E In a clean pan bring the sugar and water to the boil.
10. Add lemon juice and boil syrup fo 5 minutes.
11. Add circles of orange rolls and boil for 10 minutes, skimming when
necessary.
12. Remove from the heat, cover and leave overnight.
13. Next day bring pan contents to the boil and cook gently for 20
minutes or until syrup is thick (105=B0C or 220=B0F on a sugar
thermometer.
14. Cool a little remove thread and place rolls and syrup in sterilized
jars
15. Seal and store in a cool place

Works for grape fruit and lemons