magret canard quantité par personne, difference between blanquette et fricassee, magret de canard combien de gramme par personne, quantité magret de canard par personne, un magret fait pour combien de personne, quantité par personne pour un filet de canard, coddled vs poached, lentil scum, kimberly @comcast.net @bellsouth.net @hotmail.com mail, magret par personnes

#1: Another Pickled Onion question

Posted on 2006-07-13 10:39:58 by HelixStalwart

I've just received my jars for Pickled Onions (the whole small ones in
vinegar, not chopped onions) and they are the Ball Mason jars with the
screw band lids. Do I need to BWB them to get a seal or since it is in
pure vinegar will they be OK unsealed? If I DO have to BWB them, what
time shoud I use? Does the 15 mins that the leaflet in each jar
suggests sound OK? (they are the 500ml ones).

Thanks

#2: Re: Another Pickled Onion question

Posted on 2006-07-13 12:11:03 by gsm

DanielCoffey wrote:
> I've just received my jars for Pickled Onions (the whole small ones in
> vinegar, not chopped onions) and they are the Ball Mason jars with the
> screw band lids. Do I need to BWB them to get a seal or since it is in
> pure vinegar will they be OK unsealed? If I DO have to BWB them, what
> time shoud I use? Does the 15 mins that the leaflet in each jar
> suggests sound OK? (they are the 500ml ones).

I would not use a BWB at all. Either don't cook them and keep them
refrigerated, or sterilize them in a pressure cooker, preferably one made
specificaly for canning.

Assuming you are near sea level a BWB will probably work, but it's a
chance and since you are not experienced at telling bad food, the odds
are not on your side.

If you are at any real altitude, for example, I'm at about 3,000 feet, a
BWB will NEVER sterilize anything.

While I'm sure your grandparents ate onion pickles that were never
sterilized and lived, they did not have an immume system subject
to the effects of current levels of polution and antibiotic use.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel <a href="mailto:gsm&#64;mendelson.com" target="_blank">gsm&#64;mendelson.com</a> N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

#3: Re: Another Pickled Onion question

Posted on 2006-07-13 19:18:12 by Brian Mailman

DanielCoffey wrote:

&gt; I've just received my jars for Pickled Onions (the whole small ones in
&gt; vinegar, not chopped onions) and they are the Ball Mason jars with the
&gt; screw band lids. Do I need to BWB them to get a seal or since it is in
&gt; pure vinegar will they be OK unsealed? If I DO have to BWB them, what
&gt; time shoud I use? Does the 15 mins that the leaflet in each jar
&gt; suggests sound OK? (they are the 500ml ones).

Especially since you're new to canning, you need to use a tested recipe
and not try to wing it. Do you have one?

I can imagine one involves piercing the onions of a certain size and no
larger, and hot packing them, but without seeing what you're intending I
can do no more than hazard a guess.

B/

#4: Re: Another Pickled Onion question

Posted on 2006-07-13 21:19:25 by The Joneses

&quot;Geoffrey S. Mendelson&quot; wrote:

&gt; DanielCoffey wrote:
&gt; &gt; I've just received my jars for Pickled Onions (the whole small ones in
&gt; &gt; vinegar, not chopped onions) and they are the Ball Mason jars with the
&gt; &gt; screw band lids. Do I need to BWB them to get a seal or since it is in
&gt; &gt; pure vinegar will they be OK unsealed? If I DO have to BWB them, what
&gt; &gt; time shoud I use? Does the 15 mins that the leaflet in each jar
&gt; &gt; suggests sound OK? (they are the 500ml ones).
&gt;
&gt; I would not use a BWB at all. Either don't cook them and keep them
&gt; refrigerated, or sterilize them in a pressure cooker, preferably one made
&gt; specificaly for canning.
&gt;
&gt; Assuming you are near sea level a BWB will probably work, but it's a
&gt; chance and since you are not experienced at telling bad food, the odds
&gt; are not on your side.
&gt;
&gt; If you are at any real altitude, for example, I'm at about 3,000 feet, a
&gt; BWB will NEVER sterilize anything.

Not so, good sir. I'm here at 4,000 and BWB nearly all my preserving of *high
acid* foods. Never had a problem. I do adjust for altitude.
The Joy of Pickling has several recipes for Pickled onions; in fact, I did
the ones in malt vinegar. I did not care for them, but a white wine vinegar and
less sugar might have been a better bet.
JOP's recipe for English Pub Style (!) uses &quot;very small onions&quot;, brines the
onions x 2, then makes a syrup of the vinegar &amp; flavorings. They recommend just
refrigeration to maintain best crispness, but one is allowed to BWB can them in
one pint (500 ml) or half-pint (250 ml) jars for 10 minutes at up to 1,000 feet
altitude.
Let us know how you do.
I'm off to visit the sis tomorrow, so I'll be out of the loop for a couple
weeks.
Love,
Edrena

#5: Re: Another Pickled Onion question

Posted on 2006-07-14 01:08:10 by GreenieLeBrun

DanielCoffey wrote:
&gt; I've just received my jars for Pickled Onions (the whole small ones in
&gt; vinegar, not chopped onions) and they are the Ball Mason jars with the
&gt; screw band lids. Do I need to BWB them to get a seal or since it is in
&gt; pure vinegar will they be OK unsealed? If I DO have to BWB them, what
&gt; time shoud I use? Does the 15 mins that the leaflet in each jar
&gt; suggests sound OK? (they are the 500ml ones).
&gt;
&gt; Thanks

I don't bother. I tried one pickled onion recipie that used hot vinegar
but that just made the onions soft. These days I just peel the onions,
soak in a 10% salt solution for 2-3 days (to get rid of the raw tast)
then rinse and pack the onions into jars and cover with spice vinegar
and leave them in the pantry, I sometime add one or two (or more)
pickled chillies to give them a kick. The spiced vinegar I use is just
plain white vinegar with a couple of 25gm packets of mixed pickling
spices thrown in and left to steep for at least two weeks. The pickeld
chillies are hot chillies pierced a couple of times, packed into jars
and covered with hot spiced vinegar, the vinegar from the chillies goes
quite well (if used in moderation) in salad dressings