magret canard quantité par personne, difference between blanquette et fricassee, magret de canard combien de gramme par personne, quantité magret de canard par personne, un magret fait pour combien de personne, quantité par personne pour un filet de canard, coddled vs poached, lentil scum, kimberly @comcast.net @bellsouth.net @hotmail.com mail, magret par personnes

#1: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-14 07:32:00 by kathryn

My husband and I grow tomatoes and peppers every year and make
many, many batches of salsa. The tomatoes are all coming in fast and we
really need to get them canned or something before they go to waste.

I'm looking for different versions of tomatoe and salsa recipes so we can
mix it up a bit. (The easier the better!) I am particularly looking for a
salsa that is medium heat, but a bit sweet, and thick and chunky style. Any
good tomatoe recipes would be great.

If possible, also include complete directions for processing steps and
canning methods with recipe, including both boil water bath and pressure
cooker, if needed. Like I said, the easier the better because we are still
somewhat new at home-canning.

I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate group to post my
question.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
--
Kathryn

#2: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-14 11:41:02 by gsm

Kathryn wrote:

> Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You should look at drying the tomatoes. They can be dried in your oven,
or in a home made or commercial food dryer. Several people on a mailing
list I am on found dryers for free in the U.S. on Freecycle lists and
very cheaply at garage sales.

Try the fooddrying and preserving-food mailing lists on Yahoo. Fooddrying
is unmoderated and sometimes full of trash, but they have a good file library.
Preserving-food is new and moderated with most of the library from Fooddrying.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel <a href="mailto:gsm&#64;mendelson.com" target="_blank">gsm&#64;mendelson.com</a> N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

#3: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-14 17:15:46 by barbs.challer

In article &lt;b%Ftg.101185$<a href="mailto:IZ2.35251&#64;dukeread07" target="_blank">IZ2.35251&#64;dukeread07</a>&gt;,
&quot;Kathryn&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:kathrynpotter&#64;cox.net" target="_blank">kathrynpotter&#64;cox.net</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt; My husband and I grow tomatoes and peppers every year and make
&gt; many, many batches of salsa. The tomatoes are all coming in fast and we
&gt; really need to get them canned or something before they go to waste.
&gt;
&gt; I'm looking for different versions of tomatoe and salsa recipes so we can
&gt; mix it up a bit. (The easier the better!) I am particularly looking for a
&gt; salsa that is medium heat, but a bit sweet, and thick and chunky style. Any
&gt; good tomatoe recipes would be great.
&gt;
&gt; If possible, also include complete directions for processing steps and
&gt; canning methods with recipe, including both boil water bath and pressure
&gt; cooker, if needed. Like I said, the easier the better because we are still
&gt; somewhat new at home-canning.
&gt;
&gt; I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate group to post my
&gt; question.
&gt; Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is certainly the appropriate group for your post. Welcome.
The new Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving has something like 15
different recipes for salsas. The Ball Blue Book has five different
salsa involving tomatoes. Homecanning.com has processing information
(as do both the books named above).

Check www.uga.edu/nchfp, too.

And remember that every pressure canner is a pressure cooker, but not
every pressure cooker is a pressure canner.

-Barb
&lt;<a href="http://jamlady.eboard.com" target="_blank">http://jamlady.eboard.com</a>&gt; Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
&quot;If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all.&quot;

#4: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-14 19:12:12 by Alan S

&quot;Kathryn&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:kathrynpotter&#64;cox.net" target="_blank">kathrynpotter&#64;cox.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:b%Ftg.101185$<a href="mailto:IZ2.35251&#64;dukeread07..." target="_blank">IZ2.35251&#64;dukeread07...</a>
&gt; My husband and I grow tomatoes and peppers every year and make
&gt; many, many batches of salsa. The tomatoes are all coming in fast and we
&gt; really need to get them canned or something before they go to waste.
&gt;
&gt; I'm looking for different versions of tomatoe and salsa recipes so we can
&gt; mix it up a bit. (The easier the better!) I am particularly looking for a
&gt; salsa that is medium heat, but a bit sweet, and thick and chunky style.
&gt; Any good tomatoe recipes would be great.
&gt;
&gt; If possible, also include complete directions for processing steps and
&gt; canning methods with recipe, including both boil water bath and pressure
&gt; cooker, if needed. Like I said, the easier the better because we are
&gt; still somewhat new at home-canning.
&gt;
&gt; I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate group to post my
&gt; question.
&gt; Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
&gt; --
&gt; Kathryn
&gt;I saw a kitchen tool the other day called a tomato press for 30 bucks that
&gt;peels and seeds your tomatoes with the turn of a handle.
&gt;<a href="http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6</a> I think that it mashes them up in the process, but
&gt;it would be a great way to get fresh tomatoes for sauces and soups. You
&gt;could cook it down and can your own tomato paste, or make up a batch of
&gt;great Marinara sauce and can it or freeze it for later. Just an idea.

- A -

#5: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-14 19:15:37 by Alan S

&quot;Alan S&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:nomail&#64;home.net" target="_blank">nomail&#64;home.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:MfQtg.65913$<a href="mailto:fb2.65591&#64;newssvr27.news.prodigy.net..." target="_blank">fb2.65591&#64;newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...</a>
&gt;
&gt; &quot;Kathryn&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:kathrynpotter&#64;cox.net" target="_blank">kathrynpotter&#64;cox.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
&gt; news:b%Ftg.101185$<a href="mailto:IZ2.35251&#64;dukeread07..." target="_blank">IZ2.35251&#64;dukeread07...</a>
&gt;&gt; My husband and I grow tomatoes and peppers every year and make
&gt;&gt; many, many batches of salsa. The tomatoes are all coming in fast and we
&gt;&gt; really need to get them canned or something before they go to waste.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I'm looking for different versions of tomatoe and salsa recipes so we can
&gt;&gt; mix it up a bit. (The easier the better!) I am particularly looking for a
&gt;&gt; salsa that is medium heat, but a bit sweet, and thick and chunky style.
&gt;&gt; Any good tomatoe recipes would be great.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; If possible, also include complete directions for processing steps and
&gt;&gt; canning methods with recipe, including both boil water bath and pressure
&gt;&gt; cooker, if needed. Like I said, the easier the better because we are
&gt;&gt; still somewhat new at home-canning.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate group to post my
&gt;&gt; question.
&gt;&gt; Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
&gt;&gt; --
&gt;&gt; Kathryn
&gt;&gt;I saw a kitchen tool the other day called a tomato press for 30 bucks that
&gt;&gt;peels and seeds your tomatoes with the turn of a handle.
&gt;&gt;<a href="http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6</a> I think that it mashes them up in the process,
&gt;&gt;but it would be a great way to get fresh tomatoes for sauces and soups.
&gt;&gt;You could cook it down and can your own tomato paste, or make up a batch
&gt;&gt;of great Marinara sauce and can it or freeze it for later. Just an idea.
&gt;
&gt; - A -
&gt;I don't know why that didn't link properly. It's at Williams and Sonoma.

#6: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-14 19:49:41 by Anny Middon

&quot;Alan S&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:nomail&#64;home.net" target="_blank">nomail&#64;home.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:ZiQtg.65917$<a href="mailto:fb2.25940&#64;newssvr27.news.prodigy.net..." target="_blank">fb2.25940&#64;newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...</a>
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;I saw a kitchen tool the other day called a tomato press for 30 bucks
&gt;&gt;&gt;that peels and seeds your tomatoes with the turn of a handle.
&gt;&gt;&gt;<a href="http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6</a> I think that it mashes them up in the process,
&gt;&gt;&gt;but it would be a great way to get fresh tomatoes for sauces and soups.
&gt;&gt;&gt;You could cook it down and can your own tomato paste, or make up a batch
&gt;&gt;&gt;of great Marinara sauce and can it or freeze it for later. Just an idea.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; - A -
&gt;&gt;I don't know why that didn't link properly. It's at Williams and Sonoma.
&gt;
&gt; <a href="http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6</a>
&gt;

I have one very similar to that which I bought on Ebay and it works very
well. I make tomato sauce using it which I then can.

I do wish though that I'd gotten one with a variety of screens. Mine works
great removing tomato skins and seeds, but the holes in the screen are too
big for it to remove raspberry seeds. I'd like to make seedless raspberry
jam but I've yet to find a method of removing the seeds that isn't too damn
much work.

BTW if your tomato press works like mine it's well worth your while to run
the &quot;discards&quot; back through the press once or twice. On the first go-around
there's quite a bit of tomato pulp mixed in with the seeds and skin.

Anny

#7: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-15 02:50:18 by just joe

salsa recipes for canning, new mexico university cooperative extension
service.

they also have publications on pr0cessing peppers.

joe

#8: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-15 03:30:44 by barbs.challer

In article &lt;VOQtg.172200$<a href="mailto:F_3.138187&#64;newssvr29.news.prodigy.net" target="_blank">F_3.138187&#64;newssvr29.news.prodigy.net</a>&gt;,
&quot;Anny Middon&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:AnnyMiddon&#64;hotNOSPAMmail.com" target="_blank">AnnyMiddon&#64;hotNOSPAMmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt; BTW if your tomato press works like mine it's well worth your while to run
&gt; the &quot;discards&quot; back through the press once or twice. On the first go-around
&gt; there's quite a bit of tomato pulp mixed in with the seeds and skin.
&gt;
&gt; Anny

Hear, hear!

#9: Re: Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes

Posted on 2006-07-15 04:01:57 by ellen wickberg

Anny Middon wrote:
&gt; &quot;Alan S&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:nomail&#64;home.net" target="_blank">nomail&#64;home.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
&gt; news:ZiQtg.65917$<a href="mailto:fb2.25940&#64;newssvr27.news.prodigy.net..." target="_blank">fb2.25940&#64;newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...</a>
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I saw a kitchen tool the other day called a tomato press for 30 bucks
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;that peels and seeds your tomatoes with the turn of a handle.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<a href="http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6</a> I think that it mashes them up in the process,
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;but it would be a great way to get fresh tomatoes for sauces and soups.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;You could cook it down and can your own tomato paste, or make up a batch
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;of great Marinara sauce and can it or freeze it for later. Just an idea.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;- A -
&gt;&gt;&gt;I don't know why that didn't link properly. It's at Williams and Sonoma.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;<a href="http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/p8xz6</a>
&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I have one very similar to that which I bought on Ebay and it works very
&gt; well. I make tomato sauce using it which I then can.
&gt;
&gt; I do wish though that I'd gotten one with a variety of screens. Mine works
&gt; great removing tomato skins and seeds, but the holes in the screen are too
&gt; big for it to remove raspberry seeds. I'd like to make seedless raspberry
&gt; jam but I've yet to find a method of removing the seeds that isn't too damn
&gt; much work.
&gt;
&gt; BTW if your tomato press works like mine it's well worth your while to run
&gt; the &quot;discards&quot; back through the press once or twice. On the first go-around
&gt; there's quite a bit of tomato pulp mixed in with the seeds and skin.
&gt;
&gt; Anny
&gt;
&gt;
someone once suggested a mushroom shaped sock darner and a fine meshed
strainer of similar size. Just mash and push through. I have tried it
and it works quickly and well.
Ellen